The Tampa Alumnae Chapter was chartered as Gamma Mu Sigma on April 9, 1947 by seven women: Mary Holt Bunch, Eula Bennett Fuller, Ada Duhart McRay, Ruth Corbitt Moore, Linda Harris Reddick, Nathalie Sheehy Smith, and Rosalind Williams Talley. The chapter celebrated its Golden Anniversary on Saturday, April 5, 1997 with an evening of elegance.
Since its inception, the Chapter assumed the responsibility of providing scholarships for young ladies in the Tampa Bay area to attend colleges and universities of their choice, rendered volunteer services to community agencies, donated food and toys to needy families, and assisted with the Grand Chapter activities.
The early social activities included the annual Jabberwock presentation and Queen of Hearts Ball. The celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Queen of Hearts Ball was held in February 2004. While this event was a grand affair for the chapter, the three days of events surrounding our 60th anniversary in 2007 set new standards for events and functions.
The first President was Nathalie Sheehy Smith. She was succeeded by Ada Duhart McCray, Ruth Corbitt Moore, Mary Holt Bunch, C. Bette Wimbish, Linda Harris Reddick, Mary Stevens, Lillie Covington, Altamese Hamilton, Ollie Hunter, Mary Padgett, Sweetrix Williams, E. Jean Bolden, Gloridine McNair, Arthenia Joyner, Yolanda R. Lee, Dr. Paulette Walker, Dr. Marian Lauria-Davis, Doris Scott, Joanell Lawson, Dr. Marian Lauria-Davis, Brenna Fields Taylor and our current President, Janette Spencer-Davis.
The Chapter is truly committed to the Five-Point Program Thrust established by our Founders over 90 years ago. Tampa Alumnae continues to carry the torch.
This website is the sole property and responsibility of the Tampa Alumnae Chapter.
Copyright © 1947 - 2013 Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Tampa Alumnae Chapter. All Rights Reserved.